About the customer
Besides being the world's largest producer of nickel, palladium, platinum, and copper, Norilsk Nickel also produces cobalt, rhodium, silver, gold, iridium, ruthenium, as well as selenium, tellurium, and sulfur. The core specializations of the group of enterprises are the exploration, mining, and processing of minerals, and the production, marketing, and sale of non-ferrous and precious metals.
About the project
The Data Mining & Analytics Suite provides the following capabilities:
gathering of data for subsequent analysis and their preliminary processing, which includes the following operations:
- entry of paper documents (with recognition of the entire text or only some fragments by the method of drag & drop recognition "on the run," i.e., by dragging a selected text fragment into the text field for it to be recognized automatically);
- import of streams of documents from websites (e.g., news feeds, documents from designated websites);
- extraction of documents from external databases (e.g., electronic libraries operated on external media);
- attributive indexing of documents entered;
- categorization of news feeds.
analytic functions and low-level groups of functions:
- the search, selection, and filtering of patents and documents of other types located on the Internet or in a local storage (wildcard search, right and left truncation, composite queries involving the use of logical operators and factoring in the morphology of the Russian and English languages);
- methods of statistical analysis (e.g., AR, SMA, ARIMA adjusted for seasonality and interventions, correlation analysis).
high-level group of functions:
- dynamic analysis of a data object (e.g., choosing aspects of development, searching for alternatives for each aspect, modelling and forecasting, evaluating results);
- statistical analysis of a data object (e.g., identification of patenting patterns for a data object in terms of firms, countries, etc. using the International Patent Classification).
functionality for presenting the results of analysis:
- automatic generation of summary figures: tables, 2-D and 3-D charts, diagrams, pie charts, etc.;
- export of figures into the word processor;
- automatic generation of reports preconfigured using a template.
Fig. Chart of the Data Mining & Analytics Suite
The results achieved
The Data Mining & Analytics Suite allowed the client to automate the following operations:
- analysis and forecasting aimed at estimating the development prospects of technologies and technological solutions using the methods of patent analysis;
- employees' exercise of access, within their access rights, to operational documents they require, e.g., internal standards, patents, project specifications;
- entry of documents by means of batch scanning and import from designated websites.